I made a sweet baked potato today for dinner. I bought a regular sweet potato at the store, no need to buy the expensive ones “intended” for baking.
I put the potato in the microwave on a plate and push the “potato” button. After 4-5 minutes, I had myself a baked potato!
I added some brown sugar and some vegan butter and I had a delicious and nutritious dinner.
Before I became a vegan I LOOOOVED Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup but even the dark chocolate ones have milk (booo!) so I decided to make some of my own.
I started with very dark vegan chocolate (check the ingredients!) and some peanut butter.
I used a small cupcake pan and used aluminum foil for the filling.
I melted the chocolate in the microwave. I scooped little spoonfuls of peanut butter and placed them in the middle of the cup and then I added the chocolate.
Refrigerate it for a bit and voila! Chocolate peanut butter cups!
Coming from a hispanic background, everything that has to do with latin food, also has to do with meat. Well, with a little bit if creativity and by asking some questions, it doesn’t have to be that way.
When we go into latin restaurants, I immediately go to the ‘sides’ section and start looking at those. You might find a side salad, plantains, yuca, black beans (usually made vegan but ask if it was cooked with meat), rice, bread, etc. My usual meal is black beans, rice, and plantains.
We also went to a fast latin food restaurant called ‘Pollo Tropical’ which literally means Tropical Chicken, but don’t let the name fool you! They have a vegetarian dish. You can choose between rice, rice and beans, yellow rice, rice and lettuce, with corn, grilled onions, tomatoes, and grilled peppers. They also have some yummy sauces such as guava bbq. If you have one near your house, you should check it out!
– 1 1/2 c of all purpose flour
– 1 c white sugar
– 1/4 c of cocoa powder
– 1tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/3 c coconut oil
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
– 1/2 c water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9×5 inch cake pan.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
3. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
– 2 c powdered sugar
– 1/4 c (½ stick) dairy-free margarine, softened
– 1/2 c vanilla coconut milk
– 3/4 c unsweetened pure cocoa powder
– 1/2 tsp vanilla
Add everything into a BIG bowl and with an electric hand mixer, mix everything together until smooth.
I refrigerated the frosting after I made it for consistency and to give the brownie time to cool.
Note: I made a big mess. There was powdered sugar flying everywhere, which is why I added more coconut milk than the recipe says. You just have to mix in the midst of the mess and it will turn out well.
Once the cake has cooled. Add the frosting and enjoy!
SO GOOD! Enjoy!
Well today I decided to make some bean soup, like my abuela would make…without the pressure cooker.
– 1 can of black beans
– Chopped onion and tomato
– Spices (adobo, basil, oregano)
– Cubed boiled potatoes
– A bit of Olive Oil
– Avocado (1/2 or whole)
1. In the pan, cook the tomatoes and onions with the olive oil and spices
2. Once that’s cooked, add the beans and potatoes
3. Let it simmer and serve!
4. Add the avocado on top or on the side
– You can add some rice for a real latin meal!
Today for lunch I made a sandwich with a side of fruit salad.
I used toasted Ezekiel Bread, 3 slices of tofurkey, and 2 scoops of hummus. I paired it with some avocado slices. For the salad I used sliced strawberries, bananas, pineapple chunks, and blueberries.
Well I made some vegan meaty lasagna for lunch yesterday and it was delicious! Even my brother (who is a complete meat eater) enjoyed it!
This recipe will yield 2-3 servings depending on how much you want to eat but you can certainly make the quantities bigger for more lasagna!
– 1 bag of Boca Soy Crumbles
– 1/2 chopped tomato
– 1/4 chopped white onion
– A few chopped mushrooms
– 6 strips of Whole wheat lasagna pasta, I break them in half before cooking them
– 1/2 bottle tomato sauce
– Daiya Cheese
– Greased baking pan
1. Put the lasagna pasta to boil
2. Chop all the veggies and cook them with the soy crumbles in olive oil.
**Preheat oven to 375 degrees**
3. Once the pasta is ready, place strips lining the bottom of the baking pan
4. Put the soy crumbles on top, then sauce, then daiya cheese.
5. REPEAT steps 3 & 4 until you have all the layers you want (This will yield about 2 layers with pasta on top).
6. Top it with pasta and cheese on top.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes or until ready.
8. Serve and ENJOY!!
Super vegan, super delicious, super easy!